Discover the vibrant world of performing arts in Downtown Frederick, MD! Whether you’re a fan of music, dance, or theater, you’ll find something to captivate your senses in this thriving arts district. Explore “Theater Row” with iconic venues like the Weinberg Center for the Arts, Maryland Ensemble Theatre, and New Spire Stages, where you can witness world-class performances by talented artists from around the globe. With a diverse range of shows scheduled every weekend and throughout the week, you can plan your visit to coincide with a musical, dance, or theatrical extravaganza. Don’t miss out on the upcoming performances, including Tommy James and The Shondells, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Direct From Sweden: The Music of ABBA, and many more. Immerse yourself in the magic of performing arts in Downtown Frederick, MD, and let your artistic spirit soar!
Performing Arts in Downtown Frederick, MD
If you’re in the mood for live entertainment, look no further than downtown Frederick, MD. This vibrant city has been designated as an Arts & Entertainment District, making it a hub for performing arts. With a variety of performance arts companies and venues, you can expect to find a wide range of shows and events to suit your taste. Whether you’re into music, dance, or theater, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
Weinberg Center for the Arts
One of the highlights of downtown Frederick’s performing arts scene is the Weinberg Center for the Arts. This historic theater, located in the heart of the city, offers a stunning venue for various performances. From concerts by renowned musicians to theater productions and dance performances, the Weinberg Center has it all. You can expect to experience world-class entertainment right in the heart of Frederick.
Maryland Ensemble Theatre
Another must-visit performing arts venue in downtown Frederick is the Maryland Ensemble Theatre. This local theater company is known for its innovative and thought-provoking productions. With a focus on engaging and entertaining the audience, the Maryland Ensemble Theatre stages a variety of shows throughout the year. From comedies and dramas to musicals and improv, there’s always something exciting happening at this theater.
New Spire Stages
New Spire Stages is a relatively new addition to downtown Frederick’s performing arts scene but has quickly become a popular destination for theater lovers. This modern and contemporary theater offers a space for both professional and community productions. With its versatile stage and state-of-the-art facilities, New Spire Stages provides a platform for emerging artists as well as established performers. You can expect to experience a wide range of performances at this dynamic venue.
If you’re planning a visit to downtown Frederick, make sure to check out the upcoming performances at these fantastic venues. Here’s a sneak peek of what’s coming up:
- Sep 10: Tommy James and The Shondells at the Weinberg Center for the Arts. Get ready to be transported back to the 1960s with the record-breaking music of Tommy James and The Shondells.
- Sep 21: Toad The Wet Sprocket at the Weinberg Center for the Arts. Experience the music of this iconic band that has been making waves for over three decades.
- Sep 23: Direct From Sweden: The Music of ABBA at the Weinberg Center for the Arts. Enjoy an unforgettable evening of ABBA’s greatest hits performed with meticulous attention to detail.
- Sep 27: John Hiatt at the Weinberg Center for the Arts. Be captivated by the masterful storytelling and exceptional songwriting of John Hiatt.
- Sep 29: Angels In America Part II: Perestroika at the Maryland Ensemble Theatre. Dive into the world of this Pulitzer Prize-winning play that explores love, relationships, and life in the 1980s.
- Sep 30: World Ballet Series: CINDERELLA at the Weinberg Center for the Arts. Experience the magic of classical ballet with a live performance of Cinderella by a multinational cast of professional ballet dancers.
- Oct 10: BLIPPI: The Wonderful World Tour at the Weinberg Center for the Arts. Dance, sing, and learn with Blippi and special guest Meekah for an interactive and educational show.
- Oct 15: Oasis in the Sun Tour feat. Pablo Cruise and Jim Messina at the Weinberg Center for the Arts. Enjoy an evening of nostalgia with hits from the 70s and 80s performed by Pablo Cruise and Jim Messina.
- Nov 19: It Takes Two – Duo Delights at Frederick Community College. Double your musical delight with soprano Mary Gresock and baritone David Loy as they perform a variety of duets in different musical styles.
- Nov 25: Tuba Christmas at the Weinberg Center for the Arts. Join the popular tuba comrades of Frederick for a festive performance of brassy Christmas hits, and contribute to a canned food drive for a good cause.
With such a diverse lineup of performances, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in downtown Frederick.
Explore the Outdoors
Beyond its vibrant performing arts scene, downtown Frederick also offers plenty of opportunities to connect with nature. As you take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city, you can explore the beautiful outdoors and recharge your batteries. Whether it’s a leisurely walk along the historic streets or a hike in one of the nearby parks, you’ll find endless opportunities to unplug and enjoy the natural beauty surrounding Frederick.
After a day of exploring downtown Frederick or attending a performance, why not indulge in some local libations? The city is home to a variety of wineries, breweries, and distilleries, offering a chance to sample and savor locally produced wines, ciders, meads, brews, and spirits. From small-batch craft beers to award-winning wines, Frederick has something to please every palate. Take a tour, attend a tasting, or simply relax with a glass of your favorite drink and toast to the vibrant local beverage scene.
If you’re a cycling enthusiast, downtown Frederick is the ideal destination for you. The city boasts a bicycle-friendly environment, with dedicated bike lanes and trails that allow you to explore its charm on two wheels. Whether you prefer leisurely rides or more challenging routes, Frederick has options for every level of cyclist. So hop on your bike and pedal your way through the historic streets, picturesque countryside, and scenic trails, enjoying the sights and sounds of this vibrant city.
Get Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with all the latest happenings in Frederick County by subscribing to our newsletter. By signing up, you’ll receive regular updates on upcoming events, special promotions, and insider tips straight to your inbox. Don’t miss out on any of the exciting opportunities to explore downtown Frederick and all it has to offer.
For even more Frederick favorites and insider recommendations, be sure to follow us on social media. We share the latest news, updates, and highlights from the city’s vibrant arts and entertainment scene. Join our online community and connect with fellow Frederick enthusiasts as we celebrate all that makes this city a fantastic destination.
If you have any questions or need assistance during your visit to downtown Frederick, be sure to stop by the Visitor Center. Located at 151 S. East Street, Frederick, MD 21701, the center is staffed with knowledgeable and friendly personnel who can provide you with information about local attractions, dining options, and accommodations. Feel free to call ahead at 301-600-4047 or 800-999-3613 to inquire about any specific information you may need.
Downtown Frederick, MD, truly is a destination that offers a little something for everyone. From world-class performances at the various theaters to outdoor adventures and local culinary delights, there’s an endless array of experiences waiting to be discovered. So plan your visit, mark your calendar for the upcoming performances, and get ready to immerse yourself in the vibrant arts and entertainment scene of downtown Frederick.